"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
--Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, August 24, 2009

4th Cath Update--Disappointment

Ugh. Dr. Bradley was unable to induce a single extra beat. He couldn't get Connie into atrial flutter at all so therefore they could not get a map and could not attempt ablation. No mapping means no information for Dr. Bove either. He said he does think there are a couple of places that he is pretty sure are causing some problems, and that Dr. Bove could possibly still try to freeze those areas during surgery on Thursday, but now they are not so sure that he will even want to go ahead with surgery give the total picture. We are in limbo right now. Dr. Bradley is calling Dr. Bove now and said they all need to put their heads together and come up with a plan. I asked if those discussions could involve Dr. Bromberg and he said he is certainly going to get him in on this. After they all talk, Dr. Bove will talk with us and we will decide together what to do. He may go ahead with surgery and send him home on amiodarone for another year and then try again at that time to do an EP/ablation or he may say send him home now and manage the leaky valves for longer. I would love to avoid surgery, but I don't think I can deal with Connie for another year or more with his current level of decreased activity and increased neediness! We'll see what they say. He should be leaving the cath lab in the next few minutes and heading up to recovery. They'll call me when he's there and I can come be with him. They are going to watch him overnight, especially his blood levels. They are keeping his arterial line in so I don't even know if I'll be able to hold him with that in. Hopefully I can. He's much happier that way. They said they think they replaced all the blood he lost, but that he might have been a bit low to begin with and they wrote orders for him to get more through the night if needed to bring his levels up to prime if he is indeed to have surgery on Thursday.

Dr. Bradley said his lovely nurse who prepped everything that would be needed for today was so let down by this. She put so much work into this case and she told him it was like she prepared a huge Thanksgiving Dinner only to have the dog eat the turkey! I did laugh when he said that, but I can't help being disappointed. We wanted so badly to get EVERYTHING fixed while we were here and now it looks like there's the potential to get nothing repaired, just go home as is and wait. Pray now that Connie will be okay when he wakes up and not nauseous or too fussy. Pray that he has a good roommate and can get some rest tonight while he's inpatient and that he feels "all better" tomorrow and can get out of the hospital for a couple of days.

3 comments:

H. James said...

Hmmmm. I don't know quite what to say. I'm disappointed the EP study wasn't more fruitful (or should I say flutterful - ha!).
I hope Connie is recoverying peacefully and you get some positive news when you speak with Dr. Bove. Thanks for the updates.

Annie Whitelaw said...

I'm praying that all goes well with Conway this evening and that you both are able to get a good nights sleep.

Aaron and Erica said...

I'm so sorry that things did not go as you had hoped. I'll be praying that the Dr.'s can come up with a plan to address all of Connie's issues.