Saturday, May 2, 2009
Get On Your Knees People
Dr. Goel just reviewed the cath and gave us the news we don't want to hear. He is in moderate to severe heart failure. His liver is being affected. He is to the point that he can not leave the hospital and will require IV heart failure medications, lasix and milrinone. Dr. Goel wanted to talk to Dr. Bromberg (our actual card) to decide if he wanted him transfered to the CICU at Children's or just stay here until Monday. He is getting set up for a cardiac cath on Monday at Children's to get a better look. His LV is quite dilated and the conduit is very calcified (has become bone). Significant narrowing and needs replacement. So we're waiting to hear after Monday what the timeline is for another open heart surgery. Then, while Dr. Goel is on the phone with Dr. Bromberg, he remembers me asking about Atrial Fib going undetected because of the pacemaker. He says he's not concerned about Fib, but the two docs think he may be in Atrial Flutter and if he's been in it for several days, it could explain the sudden failure and severe mitral valve problems. Dr. Bromberg is on his way in to interrogate the pacemaker since he's an electrophysiologist and he'll know if it's A flutter. If so, they'll try converting him (might be with the shock paddles) and once he's converted, his symptoms could signinficantly improve and rather quickly. That sounds to me like we could avoid surgery if it's just A flutter! Please pray. We'll update when we know more.
Posted by Erin Beckemeier at 11:18 AM