"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
--Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

More Firsts

Today at the park Connie rode on the swing for the first time ever!! He had been in our outdoor swing once or twice just before surgery, but this was his first time at the park (remember he couldn't be out in the heat of the summer because of his heart and before the weather got hot, he was too young for it). He held his head up just great. I wish I had a movie of it. He laughed out loud and smiled when he felt himself moving. It brought tears to my eyes to be doing normal things with him. Since we've been home, every time we've gone to the park he's either been in the stroller on continuous feeds or at home with Daddy napping. This is the first time it felt a little like normal, with both Mary Kathleen and Connie playing and having fun. Then Mook wanted to go on the see saw so I helped Conway sit on one side and they went up and down and had more fun. He is really getting into watching her and is so enamored by her. When she comes near him he tries to grab her and she giggles and thinks it is so funny. She's constantly saying to him, "Connie, watch this!" and then she does some trick for him.

It also makes me sad (self pity, I know) when I think about how some things have changed. As a teacher, I know how crucial it is for a child to have a variety of experiences to draw on for future learning. My fear is that since the kids can't have the same sort of or number of experiences they used to have that somehow their cognitive and social development is going to be affected. Sounds silly, I know, but Mook never gets to play with other kids anymore because we're afraid she'll bring some germ home and he never gets to leave the house (except for doctor's appts and to go out in the yard or for walks when the weather is mild enough). What kind of experiences will they have to draw upon?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin,
Don't you worry about Mary Kathleen at all. Growing up we never left the house. no one ever invited 9 kids over for playdates. I never went to preschool and my only person to entertain me was my little sister. It didn't hurt my socialization one bit, look at me, Hospitality coordinator and semi-professional bowler! You are doing agreat job with her and you analyze things too much with your teaching background. My mom sat there laughing under her breath when the parents as teachers lady came to evaluate Ben and his "skills." She was like, "at this age I stuck you in a playpen and you were lucky if you had a toy to play with, I cetainly did not stimulate your cognitive ability". Anyway, there is not much you can do to change it right now, you have to protect that baby and she will be just fine. Hope to see you friday at mops!
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin and Greg,
I hope God gives you peace with the 'stuff' you learned as a teacher. It's easy to buy into the world mindset and thought processes, but the promise is that His Grace is sufficient for Conway and Mary Kathleen (and you, too!) God put us in families-not in age segregated groups....we grow and learn to relate with others best in the safe, nurturing environment of our family. That's what it's all about-that's where the lasting relationships are formed and that's where we're called to grow together. Have fun together- it sounds like he's doing remarkably better, and I know God has great plans for you ALL! Sharon and all the Hutcheson's down the road.

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin and Greg. I sure wish we could join you all at the Fund Raiser tonight. But I'm afraid that when we get off work at 5, and drive up, we'd be late anyway (by about 10 hours!!) Know that our hearts and prayers are with you all still. Don't worry about Mook's interactions. There is plenty with Celeste and Connie and you 2 for now. And she will do some catching up later on if she needs to. What a great family you have!
Can't wait to hear the next post!
Love from the SC Beckemeiers