Friday, July 13, 2012
Conway threw up again before bed and the apple juice from very early morning. We were told to bring him in and they'd reassess. We got there and told the nurse who didn't seem overly concerned and said it would be anesthesia's call. The fellow and another doctor came in and heard all about it and didn't see any reson not to proceed. He has no temp, sign of infection or any other systemic issue. His labs from yesterday were normal and show no elevated counts or problems with electrolytes. They paged Dr. Bove to fill him in and he feels it is unsafe to proceed at this time. Greg is ecstatic and relieved. I can't help but be disappointed. Of course I don't want him to go through a risky "elective" surgery if he is compromised in any way, and in my head I know that this is a blessing in disguise and today just wasn't the right day for this. But my heart is sure heavy, knowing we'll have to do this all over again, only now it being more likely that he'll have to start kindergarten late and all that goes along with the travel details, etc. I have a new job this school year, too, and am pretty nervous at the prospect of needing time off before I start! I know his safety is number one, but these are real concerns that I can't help but worry about. He was so disappointed he wasn't getting his heart fixed today, and Dr. Bradley even came by to visit, not knowing it was off. We joked that this was the second time Connie's invited him to the dance and stood him up. The last time was in the cath lab in '09 when he attempted an ablation for the first time. Now we wait to hear from his schedulers, but they advised us to go back to St. Louis. We were told we'd know more by 11am about when he can be put on Dr. Bove's schedule. He was very sorry. I feel bad for him, but sure respect him for making such a difficult decision.
Posted by Erin Beckemeier at 6:53 AM