"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
--Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Feeling Better & Sleeping Better (Hurry. . .find some wood to knock on)



Connie seems to be feeling better as indicated by a somewhat increased appetite and playing independently. Yesterday he drank a good amount (about 16 oz. total) but didn't eat much and today he ate his normal amount but drank almost nothing (maybe 4-6 oz altogether). He's back to totally blended foods, per the recommendation of his OT. She NEVER has us go the "easy" route and is usually all for challenging him with different textures. But after seeing him Monday morning during his therapy session she said we have the okay to go back down to the blended soups and baby food consistencies. He wouldn't eat anything but a couple bites of yogurt for her. He will nibble on crackers and cookies while he's being fed, and getting the full amount in him has been difficult, but he's doing it.

The more exciting news, for me anyway, is that he's been going to sleep on his own the last few days. I have been putting him in his crib, on his belly, and leaving him. I noticed he was struggling to get comfortable as I continued trying to pat, shush, rock, sing (you name it, we were trying it) and he sat up in bed and then laid down on his tummy. He seemed to like it so now I've been putting him in on his belly. It's like it's signaled something in him that tells him it's time to sleep and not play around, etc. I just looked at him and told him I had to go out to the living room and fold laundry but I'd be right back to check on him. He let out three little whimpers and I never heard another peep. When I told Greg how easy it was he said, "Who'd have thought all this time all we had to do was reason with him?!" Cross your fingers that this new "phase" holds and that we can all get some better sleep from here on out--not to mention, get something done during the day now that he's napping better. Lately I feel like all I do is try to get him to sleep and eat. Literally.

No comments: