"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
--Jeremiah 29:11

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Weight Gain

Connie was weighed this morning (right after he threw up his morning feeding) and his weight is still climbing nicely. He was up another few ounces from last week and is now 21 lbs. 14.5 oz. Yesterday was his first day of getting 10 more mL (1/3 of an oz.) in each of his four daytime feedings and we decreased his overnight feeding by 40 mL. The goal being to get him off of the continuous overnight and strictly on daytime feeds, either by mouth or enterally. This is a slow process, for sure, but one we are confident that he can achieve in God's time. Our OT said yesterday that he is making wonderful progress, faster than her other clients with similar feeding issues. Guess he's a bit competitive. . .I wonder where he gets that from ;) Of course, today he's only taken in 5 mL of milk and 7 mL of water. I blended up our leftover meatloaf, carrots and potatoes from last night's dinner for him for lunch and served it along with ritz crackers. He won't hardly take anything off the spoon from me, so I let him use his nuk brush to dip into the mixture. He sure covered his face and bib and arms, but I'm not sure if any got in. It's good experience for him nonetheless. We're hoping that once his self-feeding skills improve, he'll really take off. He's just still pretty averse to anyone going near his mouth and he wants the control. I forgot how nice it was to have a bald baby at feeding times. When Mary Kathleen was at this stage, she was bald so mealtimes were a bit less messy! He gets it in his hair and everything. She didn't mind being cleaned up. He can't stand to have his face wiped. We're really starting to see a little personality come out in him. Today he was playing peek-a-boo with his blue bunny elephant and putting it on his head all by himself. He also knows what it means when I say, "Give me a bite." He puts the food or whatever he has in his hand up to my mouth and offers it to me. It's so cute how he's starting to understand more and more. I'm just so proud of him!

Mary Kathleen appears to be completely back to normal based on her activity level, but she is still complaining about her throat hurting.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Erin,

It's great to hear how Connie is improving! Some may be small steps, but all together, they are milestones!

Thank you for the postings! I look forward to reading them and hearing about Connie's triumphs.

Continued prayers for your family!

Love Kim Froehlich

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Connie is coming right along! That's so great!

Erin, I didn't realize you were also a Duchesne Alum until I saw Connie's picture and the article in the "Duchesne Leaves"! So ironic (of course, you were there just a few years later than I! Christine went there, too!).

Thanks for the update,
Debbie Gentry

Anonymous said...

Erin,
I told mom we need to be looking for a small shower cap.
We will use it in the kitchen.
Love Grandpa George

Anonymous said...

Erin George! Hi it's Jen Schulte from high school... I saw your son's website in the Duchesne Leaves Flier that came yesterday. He is a beautiful little boy. I hope that things continue to progress for him. You are in my thoughts.
Jen (Schulte) Edwards

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin and family! I saw your precious Conway's picture and article in the Duchesne Leaves. I also watched your darling video of him "jumping" with his sister. It brought tears to my eyes because I can't imagine what he's had to go through in such a short time & how it must be difficult for you. We have 2 little boys and I can't imagine. He looks like he's doing much better from the video and pictures! We will most definitely be praying for Conway's complete healing & restoration! We serve a God who's much bigger than we can imagine! Nothing is impossible with Him!

Meredith (Stipes) Engelmeyer