"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
--Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, August 27, 2009

On our toes

Well, during that hour or so that we had to leave, somebody woke up and decided he wanted to get out of bed. He reached for Kelli and was wide awake wanting to be held. She knew when he saw me he'd really go nuts. She asked immediately for some sedation. Morphine and Ativan were useless. Then they starts dex and went up on morphine drip. Still climbing out of the bed and rolling over. Dr. Bocks ordered him paralyzed until they can safely sedate him. All his yellow lines on the vent (him breathing on his own) are gone and it is doing all the work for him. He's added two more drips to his med tree now. This paralytic is supposed to last 2-4 hours and he's already waking up. Please pray he settles out and calms down u til morning.

7 comments:

Yvonne Mallon said...

Ummmm, sounds like someone else I know!! We were on morphine and ativan at 40 and I was holding her down. The dex she liked!! She did not require a paralytic. Hopefully he will respond well to the dex. It usually works well. I am thinking of you!!

H. James said...

I just caught up on the day. What a DAY! I am so glad everything in the OR went well and it sounds terrific that he won't need multiple replacement conduits. I'll admit, I'm a tad bit jealous (as only a heart mom can be) but frankly overjoyed for you & Conway. As to the waking up & fighting the vent, I say that only speaks to how incredibly strong he is. I can't wait to see how he does after extubation and (hopefully) not being in heart failure!! Thanks for all the timely updates. We'll be hoping for minimal bleeding and maximal rest overnight.

All our love from Michigan (where we are visiting Petoskey),

Your Wisconsin L-TGA friends,
Heather, Tim, Bailey & Libby

Unknown said...

Thank god!!!! I am so happy that everything is going so well. Isn't it amazing the amount of med these little one can handle? I'ld be asleep for a week. We are continuing to pray for Connie and we appreciate all of the updates. He's looks great in the pics.

Nicole mom of Lorelei HLHS

Unknown said...

Boy, he looks great! Sounds like he is quite a fighter - what strength he has (must run in the family)!! We'll keep praying. Hoping for a restful night for you all.

Staci Budde said...

Just checking in and praying things stay smooth!! I hope he calms down and gets some rest!! Glad they were able to accomplish what they set out to do! Hopefully this is it for a long while and he will be back to the normal crazy little man he is!!
Prayers and Love,
Staci

Anonymous said...

Is it Kelli VanValkenburg that is your nurse???? If so, please give her a HUGE hug from the Strauser family. She was Kellen's primary nurse and we love her! Praying that Conway has an "uneventful" night with sucessful extubation tomorrow!!!

Tawnya Strauser

Lisa P said...

Wow, I always miss a lot of action when I step away for a while! Looks like they have their hands full with your little wild man! I'm hoping that overnight, he'll respond well to the sedation and won't require as much of the paralytic. I'm sure every day he'll do a bit better. Looking forward to a good update in the morning! Don't think I can stay up late tonight to catch the evening updates.

XOXO -
Lisa, Grant, Natey and Scott