"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
--Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Renewed Hope!

First, there are a couple of new pics to the right. I report tonight some good news and a renewed sense of hope. I was doing "homework" with him and he took some watered down baby food through a syringe. When I say some, I mean about a total of 6-8 mL. He had some great swallows and with a thicker but not too thick substance, he didn't drool out so much. He didn't gag once! Then for his feeding I gave him the rest of the thinned baby food through his tube because I've heard that some kid's reflux gets better when they have some more solid food on their tummy to weigh it all down. Granted, it wasn't true solids because it had to be thin enough for the tube, but it was thicker than the normal milk he gets so that's good. Then I used some rice cereal to thicken his milk and put that through the NG also. He gagged a couple of times but nothing came up!! I'm so excited. I didn't use the pump, because I was afraid it would clog, so it was pretty time consuming to give him syringe-ful after syringe-ful over about 30 minutes--but it was worth it if it helps him keep it down. If he does well again at his next feeding I will call the doctor tomorrow and see if his feeds need to be adjusted because of adding solids. Just pray that he digests it fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Day! What a great post to read this Friday morning. Erin, I'm excited that you're taking charge and trying new things, hopefully more "solid" feedings will help with keeping things down. Although time consuming, I bet it was worth every minute! LOVE the new pictures :) The kids are soo darn cute. Thanks for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend, the weather here is suppose to turn icky tonight into tomorrow. Winter weather here we come! Hard to believe that tomorrow's the 1st of December, where does the time go?

Love, Caryn & family

Anonymous said...

What a handsome boy he is!! Glad to see he is progressing! Baby steps...he'll get there :-)